Y'all!! This is the SO good! You don't miss the noodles at ALL! You can make ricotta with macadamia nuts or FIRM tofu. We opted for the tofu but I posted both options below! Remember, if you prefer a more "cheesy" lasagna, be generous with the nutritional yeast!
3 cups raw macadamia nuts, or 1 16-ounce extra FIRM tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
3-4 tablespoons (depending on your preference) nutritional yeast
1/2 cup fresh basil finely chopped (we used 2 tablespoons dried basil)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 lemon, juiced (2 tablespoons)
1 tsp sea salt and pinch of pepper
optional: 1 tablespoon olive oil for flavor rich
1/2 cup water if used macadamia nuts (or a lot less if you used tofu. I added 3 tablespoons water because we used the tofu)
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1 28-ounce jar of favorite marinara sauce (I like the trader joes brand)
3-4 zucchini squash, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add macadamia nuts to food processor or blender. Mix to combine, creating a fine meal.
3. Add remaining ingredients: nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, water, and parmesan cheese. We used tofu instead of macadamia nuts. You are looking for a well-pureed mixture/paste.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, more nutritional yeast for cheesiness, or lemon for brightness.
5. Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce into a 9x13 inch baking dish and line with thinly sliced zucchini.
6. Scoop small spoonfuls amounts of ricotta mixture over the zucchini and gently spread into a thin layer. Spread on a layer of marinara sauce and then top with more zucchini slices. Continue until all filling and zucchini are used up. The top two layers should be zucchini then sauce. Sprinkle on vegan parmesan cheese and then cover with foil.
7. Bake covered for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. The zucchini should be very easily pierced when cut with a knife. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
8. Serve immediately with additional parma cheese if desired. Leftovers (if there are any:) keep 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Recipe cred Minimalist Baker! She is seriously one of my faves!